What to Expect from the PillCam ESO Procedure
- Patients typically fast for two hours prior to undergoing the PillCam ESO procedure.
- Upon arriving at the doctor’s office, your physician or nurse will review with you the steps of the procedure and answer any questions that you may have.
- While standing, you will first drink 100 mL of water.
- You will then be asked to lie on your right side, swallow the PillCam ESO capsule and take one sip of water every 30 seconds for seven minutes.
- After seven minutes, the nurse will instruct you to sit upright, drink another sip of water and wait for 30 seconds.
- The PillCam ESO procedure is performed in about 30 minutes; the results are then interpreted by your physician.
- The PillCam ESO passes naturally with a bowel movement, usually in 24 to 72 hours.
A Small Camera Contained in a Vitamin-Sized Capsule
The PillCam ESO is about the size of a standard vitamin (11 mm x 26 mm) and weighs less than four grams. PillCam ESO contains imaging devices and light sources at both ends of the capsule to capture 18 images per second as it passes down the esophagus in a 30-minute, patient-friendly procedure.