75% of Crohn’s patients have lesions in their small bowel.1
Could seeing what’s happening there change the treatment of Crohn’s disease?
The benefits of direct visualization
- Capsule endoscopy is a sensitive tool to detect mucosal abnormalities in the small bowel 2
- Direct visualization of the small bowel mucosa is necessary to accurately and fully assess early disease activity and progression 2
- Ileocolonoscopy combined with small bowel direct visualization are the fundamental tools for diagnosing and managing disease over time
Influencing a change in therapy
- 62% of patients had their Crohn’s therapy changed within 3 months of using PillCam SB 3
- Change of therapy was defined as the initiation or discontinuation of an IBD medication 3
- 40% were initiated on a new medication 3
Low risk of retention
- Capsule retention has been reported in less than 3 percent of patients with Crohn’s disease 4
- The PillCam patency capsule provides a simple and convenient means to verify functional patency of the GI tract in patients with known or suspected strictures 5
Managing Crohn’s, together
Given Imaging is proud to partner with healthcare providers and patients for better management of this chronic disease. We’re dedicated to helping to obtain a more comprehensive view of disease manifestation and progression so healthcare providers have the actionable information needed to assess, treat, and monitor Crohn’s disease.
1Engstrom PF, Goosenberg EB. Diagnosis and Management of Bowel Diseases. Professional Communications Publisher. 1999.
2Van Assche G, Dignass A, Panes J, et al. The second European evidence-based Consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn’s disease: Definitions and diagnosis. J Crohns Colitis. 2010;4(1):7-27.
3Long MD, Barnes E, Isaacs K, Morgan D, Herfarth HH. Impact of capsule endoscopy on management of inflammatory bowel disease: a single tertiary care center experience. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2011;17(9):1855-62.
4Liao Z, Gao R, Xu C, Li ZS. Indications and detection, completion, and retention rates of small-bowel capsule endoscopy: a systematic review. Gastrointest Endosc. 2010;71(2):280-6.
5Boivin ML, Lochs H, Voderholzer WA. Does passage of a patency capsule indicate small-bowel patency? A prospective clinical trial? Endoscopy. 2005;37(9):808-15.